I’m a little bit of a rebel when it comes to recipes sometimes.
I rebel against too much sugar or try to decrease the amount of fat whenever possible. I first read this cheesecake recipe in Cooking Light a few years ago and was really intrigued. I love tofu (I’m Asian after all), but wasn’t sure how I felt about it in dessert form. I also don’t like cottage cheese and didn’t want to bother with too many ingredients here. The addition of tofu actually makes for a really light, but still creamy cheesecake. The yogurt topping here (sour cream in the original recipe) also adds such a wonderful zingy topping. This is a time intensive dessert (ugh, all that grating, baking and cooling time!) but has been a hit with friends. No one can tell the difference, but everyone notices that it is indeed a little lighter, but still bright and full of flavor!
Here is my adapted recipe for a wonderful citrus treat!
Lemon lime tofu cheesecake
- 1 1/3 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 8 cookie sheets)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-calorie stick margarine or butter, melted
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cup tub-style light cream cheese ( 1 full tub and 1/2 of another tub)
- 15 ounces tofu (about 1 1/4 packages reduced-fat firm silken tofu – 1 package can be used if you want a creamier flavor), drained
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup lemon curd (store bought or I have made Alton Brown’s recipe here and freezed the remainder)
- 2 teaspoons grated lime rind
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/4 cups plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lemon and lime slices (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- To prepare crust, combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl, tossing mixture well with a fork. Sprinkle mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray or a mini cheesecake tray (this will make roughly 24 mini cheesecakes).
- To prepare filling, place cheese and tofu in a food processor, and process until mixture is smooth. Add 1 cup granulated sugar, flour, and next 5 ingredients (flour through egg white); process until smooth, scraping sides of processor bowl occasionally. Pour filling into prepared pan. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 20 minutes for the springform pan or 45 minutes for a mini cheesecake pan, or until almost set. Remove from oven.
- To prepare topping, place yogurt, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, lemon rind, and vanilla in a small bowl; stir well. Spread mixture over cheesecake, and bake an additional 8 minutes. Turn oven off, and partially open oven door; leave cheesecake in oven 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool 20 minutes on a wire rack; cover and chill 8 hours. Garnish with lemon and lime slices, if desired.