Do you have a backyard?
I live in an apartment now, but always lived in a home with a backyard when I was growing up. We actually held a little party for my daughter in my parent’s backyard when we all visited New York a few weeks ago. After a week of uncertain weather, the clouds parted to reveal blue skies, robust breezes, and a sunny day perfect for romping around in the backyard. A small row of toddlers gleefully jumped from the patio to the grass. I also laid out a few blankets so that the kids could sit on the ground while munching on their food. It was quite an idyllic scene and reminded me of how much I miss having a backyard.
I looked up a few backyards for future inspiration and have determined that the perfect backyard encompasses:
- a link to a garden with flowers as well as vegetables
- ample seating (teak would be a classic option)
- soft ambient lighting for the evening
- a semi-enclosed room for the extremely warm days
- natural canopy or shade
- a pool for more active days
- a grill and patio for summer parties
Here are a few favorite backyard spaces: