Banana bread is a top dessert in my book.
It is the perfect vessel for overripe bananas and is practically foolproof to make. I’ve made a few versions, including one with chocolate ganache. I wanted to tap on this familiar recipe again, but make it a little healthier. Ever since I started reading more about the pitfalls of refined sugar, I’ve been trying to develop low sugar recipes. This is TOUGH when it comes to desserts!
I made up for the lack of sugar by inserting both honey and maple syrup. I like the flavor of these natural sweeteners and maple syrup adds a hint of depth. This is one instance where you may want to use a heavy hand. I also added in blueberries for a little pop of texture. When I sprinkled on oatmeal on top, I felt like this was really a guilt-free treat. If this still isn’t sweet enough for you, top it off with some dark chocolate ganache – you’ll get a great rich flavor with a hint of sweetness and still keep it low sugar!
Sugar free banana bread muffins
- 5 Tablespoons oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups very ripe bananas (I usually use 3 bananas)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup honey or agave
- 2 tablespoon(s) maple syrup
- 1/4 cup blueberries (optional)
- 1/4 cup oatmeal with 1 tablespoon oatmeal
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease muffin tin with non-stick spray or a little vegetables oil or just use muffin cups.
2. Beat oil with honey. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until well blended. Add mashed banana, and beat on high speed until thoroughly mixed.
3 .Combine flour, baking soda, salt, oatmeal, and baking powder in medium bowl. Add flour mixture to oil mixture. Add any optional ingredients (e.g. blueberries) to batter.
4. Pour batter evenly into muffin pan and sprinkle on top with reserved oatmeal. Bake until browned and toothpick inserted near center comes out clean, about 15-20 minutes.
5. Cool muffins on rack for 10 minutes and remove from pan to cool completely on wire rack. Alternatively, as soon as the muffins are cool, wrap in plastic wrap and leave on the counter overnight to let the flavors develop.