How do you start your mornings?
I try to start every morning with a glass of room temperature water with a squeeze of lemon. My husband makes fun of my fondness for lemon water (I’m not a little old lady yet!) yet will also occasionally start off the day the same way. Drinking a full glass of water just sets the tone for a relaxing and refreshing day for me.
I started drinking lemon water simply because my mother would hand me a glass when I was recovering postpartum. Mom definitely knew a thing or two because lemons are vitamin rich and packed with vitamin C, B-complex, fiber and potassium.
But lemon water provides quite a few other benefits as well:
- Lemon water reduces inflammation. It decreases the amount of uric acid in our joints and the overall level of acidity in our bodies.
- It aids in digestion by tricking the liver into producing bile which helps move food through our digestive tract.
- Speaking of digestion, lemon water also helps your body digest more slowly. Nutrients are absorbed at a slow and steady pace and this may also relieve signs of mild indigestion like bloating and burping.
- Lemon water cleanes our bodies by enhancing enzyme function stimulating our livers.
- It helps us maintain good skin (yes!) due to the presence of antioxidants which fight free radical damage and also encourages our bodies to produce collagen.
- The vitamin C in lemon water keeps our white blood cell count high and pumps up our immune system keeping us healthy.
- It contains high level of potassium which is ideal for good heart health and brain functioning.
- It’s a natural energizer not only cleaning out your digestive tract but also has a calming effect on your nervous system.
- Lemon water fights viral infections via its vitamin content while simultaneously boosting your immune system
- The pectin in lemon water helps curb hunger cravings by making us feel fuller longer.