I simply adore savory snacks. Give me salty chips any time please! One of my favorite savory snacks is latkes or potato pancakes. I love the crunch of the crisped potato edges and the fragrant onions. I wanted to create healthier versions of latkes and got the inspiration when I visited a favorite Greek restaurant. We discovered the answer in kolokithokeftdes or zucchini fritters. These savory fritters are crispy and also creamy inside. So I vowed to make this at home and also make gluten free zucchini fritters for my little one.
I’m happy to say that the little one loves these zucchini fritters or veggie cakes as she calls them. We usually make them in pancake shapes so she is able to hold them and munch them easily. She likes the savoriness and pockets of cheese inside. She doesn’t normally like eating vegetables so this is a great way for her to happily eat them. I even sneak in carrot sometimes for a little extra nutrition. These fritters have become a regular menu item and are featured at least once every two weeks. I actually like using mozzarella or sometimes even cheddar because they are easier to find than feta cheese. In any case, it will be a tasty fritter!
Gluten Free Greek Zucchini Fritters
- 3-4 large zucchinis (~1 1/2-2 pounds) grated – about 4-6 cups pressed and grated zucchini
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup rice flour
- 4 stalks of scallion, chopped
- 1 cup feta, mozzarella or cheddar
- 1 carrot grated (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste (about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon each)
- 2 tablespoons dill
- About 8-10 fritters
- Grate zucchini and place into nut milk bag. Squeeze out water from zucchini in nut milk bag and set aside. Moisture is your enemy here! Get rid of as much water as possible for a fritter that is lighter and crispier.
- Grate carrot if using and chop onion and scallion.
- Mix together all ingredients and shape into 4″ balls.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. When pan is ready place zucchini fritters into skillet. Fry for about 5 minutes on each side until fritter is browned.
- Set aside on paper towel to blot oil. Enjoy immediately!
P.S. Congrats to Nicki for winning the Sailor Janes giveaway! I’ll be emailing you soon!
*This post may contain affiliate links or products for review. Thank you for clicking because your clicks help maintain this site! Please see my full disclosure policy for more information.*