*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for more information.*
I love linzer cookies. My husband really likes linzer cookies (although he forgot what they were until I reminded him that I had previously made them with this recipe). The holidays were quickly approaching and I wanted to introduce my gluten sensitive little one to these treats as well. I decided to make gluten free sugar or linzer cookies because hey, who doesn’t like cookies and jam right?
I tested these cookies a few times. Finally, I was happy with the consistency and taste of these gluten free cookies. As usual, the dough was sticky unless I practically froze it and kept it chilled when I wasn’t actively rolling it and cutting it. It was also easier to cut out the cookie ring shapes directly on the silpat mat (lifesaver for cookie bakers). I would them take out the centers, chill, and reroll the scraps. These cookies were light and crumbly. They were perfect as sugar cookies with a touch of icing or linzer cookies with a dollop of jam. I’m glad to add these as a gluten free dessert staple!
Gluten free sugar or Linzer cookies
- 1/3 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (roughly 1/2 lemon)
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fruit preserves – I like St. Dalfour because it’s sweetened only with grape juice!
- Confectioner’s sugar (optional)
- About 20-25 cookies
- Silpat mat or parchment paper, cookie sheet
- Beat sugar and butter in large bowl until fluffy.
- Add in egg, egg yolk, lemon peel, vanilla extract, and lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl milk almond flour, gluten free flour, salt, and cinnamon.
- Mix flour mixture into butter mixture. Gather dough into ball.
- Divide into 2 pieces. Flatten each into disk and wrap in plastic. Chill at least 1 hour and up to 2 days in refrigerator or freezer.
- Remove dough from refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mat. Roll out 1 dough piece between sheets of waxed paper or parchment to scant 1/4-inch thickness, sprinkling dough with flour to prevent sticking and occasionally peeling off top paper to remove wrinkles.
- Using 2-inch or 3-inch diameter fluted cutter, cut out cookies. Transfer to prepared sheets, spacing 1/2 inch apart. Gather dough scraps and reroll, cutting out more cookies and placing on sheets. Refrigerate or freeze dough in between rolling each batch. This makes the dough much easier to use!
- Use the smaller cookie cutter on the baking sheet and cut out centers from half of cookies, making rings. Gather centers as scraps.
- Bake cookies 5 minutes. Reverse sheets; bake cookies until light golden, about 6 minutes longer. Cool cookies on sheets 2 minutes. Transfer to racks; cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Slather jam on one cookie and cover with a cookie ring. Dust with a little confectioner’s sugar for a little extra sweet treat.