I eat oatmeal a lot.
This is because I force my husband to eat oatmeal almost every day to lower his cholesterol. Also, if we are eating something starchy, I would rather we ingest a carb that at least has more health benefits. I was looking into natural skin remedies recently and came up with a list of natural ingredients in your kitchen that may soothe summer/sunburned skin. Oats or oatmeal stood out to me because they are pretty versatile. They do a variety of wonders for skincare including moisturize, exfoliate, and soothe skin. Colloidal oatmeal (which is basically ground up oats) are also widely available in a lot of existing skincare products. Aveeno baby eczema therapy cream is the only lotion that really helps my baby’s skin (poor little one gets a lot of red, dry patches) and yep, it has colloidal oatmeal! I wondered what other oatmeal remedies were available and how they could help skin. Here are a few easy ways to get the benefits of oatmeal:
Easy oatmeal remedies for your skin
1. Grind up a cup of oats in a food processor (or use instant oatmeal!). Wrap oatmeal in cheesecloth and put it into warm bathwater for a nice soak. The polysaccharides in oats become gelatinous in water and leave a protective layer on the skin.
2. Grind up 1/2 cup of oats and in 3 cups of warm water. Soak a clean cloth in the liquid to use as a compress. Reapply with more water every 2 hours.
3. 1/4 cup of oats with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and apply on your face or body. Leave on for 10 minutes and wipe or rinse off thoroughly to both cleanse and moisturize your skin.
- Oats are full of natural, moisturizing fats
- Oats soothe the skin and reduce redness
- Oats are high in antioxidants and and anti-inflammatory properties