What are the candies you remember from childhood?
I used to love all kinds of candy from fruity, sour Jolly Ranchers to tiny, eat them by the handful, M&Ms. I no longer eat candy as much these days, but definitely have fond memories of receiving candy from my father after he came back home from a trip downtown on a Saturday afternoon. I was talking to an old colleague about easy and delicious bites to serve friends and she brought up this recipe for dark chocolate covered coconut bites.
I was completely intrigued since these are just homemade Mounds bars right? But these are so much easier to make and I can really up the ante with my selection of dark chocolate (I have way too much at home) and a sprinkling of salt – my favorite trick to really kick it up a notch with sweets. I love using coconut now and chocolate covered anything is a hit so these chocolate covered coconut bites were a no-brainer.
Chocolate covered coconut bites
- 4 cups shredded coconut
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 6-9 ounces of dark chocolate chunks (I used 1.5 bags of Scharffen Berger chocolate chunks and had leftover chocolate)
- sea salt
About 30 bites
1. Mix together condensed milk and coconut. Roll mixture into 1-inch balls and set aside on a sheet tray. When you are done, place the tray in the freezer for 30 minutes.
2. Melt the chocolate on a double boiler – I like to place one larger pot on top of a small saucepan of simmering water (try not to get the bottom of the larger pot to touch the water). Melt the chocolate in the larger pot (or heatproof bowl).
3. Use chopsticks or two forks and dip coconut balls into the chocolate mixture one by one. Cover chocolate balls with a dash of sea salt.
4. Chocolate will set in a few minutes or you can place this in the refrigerator for up to 30 minutes. Eat and enjoy!
These chocolate covered coconut bites are an easy addition to the end of a great date night.