Do you ever get an intense craving for a certain food?
I had a few small packages of Orea cookies sitting in my kitchen and thought “I have to make a dessert out of this!” and “How do I make a cookies and cream dessert?” Of course chocolate and cream cheese had to be involved (best frosting/icing ever!) and cupcakes would be the most convenient form. I adapted this recipe from Bakerella and loved how easy it was to make. The recipe also makes more than a dozen cupcakes so you can share and snack comfortably. I made the cream cheese frosting because I prefer the flavor, but it isn’t as white and fluffy as a buttercream or shortening frosting. I also decreased the sugar so it is more of an icing than a frosting, but I can handle a little icing running down my cupcake (as I’m sure you can too!)
Adapted from Bakerella
Cookies and cream cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup natural unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 24 Oreos, plus more for crumbs
Cream cheese icing Ingredients
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar (more if you want a frosting thickness)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons of milk
- Cupcake pan
Makes about 16+ cupcakes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line tray with 12 baking cups.
3.Break apart at least 12 cookies and place the broken pieces into each cup (note: Bakerella has also used an entire unbroken Oreo for each cupcake -whoa and yum!)
4. Mix the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl using a wire whisk.
5. Add the eggs, oil, vanilla and milk and mix well until thoroughly combined. Add the hot water and mix until combined.
6. Transfer the wet (it will be very wet!) batter to a large measuring cup and then pour batter into each baking cup so itâ€™s about three quarters full. Save the remaining batter in the refrigerator or bake immediately in a subsequent batch.
7. Bake for 16-18 minutes. While cupcakes are baking mix together all icing ingredients and then place into refrigerator to set.